Princeton High School was founded in 1867 and graduated its first class in 1869. The school was started as a boarding school and taught subjects as English, mathematics, history, and the sciences. The school was enlarged in both 1894 and 1908 in order to accommodate for increases in attendance. The school was completely destroyed by fire on December 15, 1924. Plans were then drawn up to build a new school, but in the meantime, classes were held in City Hall, the Post Office, and the Christian and Mission Covenant Churches in Princeton.